All of our research takes place at the NORDFERTIL research lab at the Karolinska Institutet in Stockholm, Sweden. At the moment there are no clinically available methods for preserving fertility in prepubertal boys, so our research is focused on the storage and use of testis tissue from young boys. We are particularly interested in the spermatogonial stem cells in these tissues and how they can be developed into sperm. Some of the questions we are interested in answering include:
- Which are the best methods for cryopreserving testis tissue to protect the spermatogonial stem cells
- How can we monitor cancer cell contamination in cryopreserved testis tissue?
- What are the culture conditions required for human spermatogenesis in vitro?
Meet the team
To be added soon!
Cells. 2021 Jan 27;10(2):241. doi: 10.3390/cells10020241.
- Cisplatin and carboplatin result in similar gonadotoxicity in immature human testis with implications for fertility preservation in childhood cancer.
BMC Med. 2020 Dec 4;18(1):374. doi: 10.1186/s12916-020-01844-y.
- Fertility Preservation in Childhood Cancer: Endocrine Activity in Prepubertal Human Testis Xenografts Exposed to a Pubertal Hormone Environment.
Cancers (Basel). 2020 Sep 30;12(10):2830. doi: 10.3390/cancers12102830.
- Fertility preservation and post-treatment pregnancies in post-pubertal cancer patients: ESMO Clinical Practice Guidelines†.
Ann Oncol. 2020 Dec;31(12):1664-1678. doi: 10.1016/j.annonc.2020.09.006. Epub 2020 Sep 22.
- Exogenous Gonadotrophin Stimulation Induces Partial Maturation of Human Sertoli Cells in a Testicular Xenotransplantation Model for Fertility Preservation.
J Clin Med. 2020 Jan 18;9(1):266. doi: 10.3390/jcm9010266.
- Rebuilding the human testis in vitro.
Andrology. 2020 Jul;8(4):825-834. doi: 10.1111/andr.12710. Epub 2019 Sep 28.
- Spermatogonial quantity in human prepubertal testicular tissue collected for fertility preservation prior to potentially sterilizing therapy.
Hum Reprod. 2018 Sep 1;33(9):1677-1683. doi: 10.1093/humrep/dey240.
- Cancer treatment in childhood and testicular function: the importance of the somatic environment.
Endocr Connect. 2018 Feb;7(2):R69-R87. doi: 10.1530/EC-17-0382. Epub 2018 Jan 19.
- Decreased spermatogonial quantity in prepubertal boys with leukaemia treated with alkylating agents.
Leukemia. 2017 Jun;31(6):1460-1463. doi: 10.1038/leu.2017.76. Epub 2017 Mar 8.
- Establishing reference values for age-related spermatogonial quantity in prepubertal human testes: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Fertil Steril. 2016 Dec;106(7):1652-1657.e2. doi: 10.1016/j.fertnstert.2016.09.002. Epub 2016 Oct 4.